BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Good and Bad appointment yesterday

Can I start with the good?

I had a very good consultation with the pulmonolgist. They will do the sweat test on Ellie between 3-6 months that will tell them if she really has CF. With the two different mutations, they think it's possible that it wont even really be CF. But, it's a wait game. They say if anything, it'll be just the sinus problems, but wont be the digestive problems. They said if we have a boy he would most likely be sterile, but since we are having a girl we don't have to worry about it. So, it was a wonderful appointment. We are very happy with what we learned.

The bad was at the high risk doctor. I am low on amniotic fluid. They want me to start seeing them and my OB 1 time a week each. So every Tuesday I will see my OB and every Friday I will see the high risk. They really want to get me past 34wks, which I am 33wks today. He would really like to see me get another month out, which will put me at 37wks. But, it looks like I will not have an April baby, but rather a March baby. Adjusting to that is kinda weird. I've been thinking April all this time, and now suddenly it's March, next month. Could be next week or even the week later. I'm not ready quite yet. Maybe it would be scary even if I had 1 or 2 weeks left before my edd.

The doctor really freaked me out. Usually the tech does the ultra sound then as soon as she's finished, the doctor comes in, does a quick ultrasound says what he needs to say, and we leave. Yesterday didn't go quite this way. Instead, the tech left, and 30 minutes later the doctor came in. And I must note they were not busy, compared to other times. My mom was with me and helped calm my nerves. Then I hear over the little intercom system Dr. B is on line 1 for...(not sure what they said). Dr. B is my OB. So, crap, first it's taking forever, now they have my doctor on the line. What's going on? About 10 minutes later the doctor comes in and does his ultrasound. He's checking a lot of things on the heart, but not saying anything. My mom told me after the appointment, she was scared. She was standing by the plasma screen trying to see anything, but was having trouble really seeing much. She didn't know what she was looking at, other than the heart. After the longest 5 minutes of looking at the heart, he started talking. He told us he was just practicing with looking at the heart. Okay...strange, but this dude is like really strange and shy anyway. He said she is a good weight, 4 and a half pounds. Maybe he was looking at the heart to make sure if we had to deliver next week, we could. I don't know. Then he procedes to tell us about the low amniotic fluid and the plan. It took all evening for this news to really sink in, I blame it on the way things were handled at the appointment. With the extra long wait, hearing that my OB was on the phone (I assumed that they called, left a message, and the dr. was in an exam room so couldn't go to the phone right away), that he came in a looked so much at the heart before saying anything. Yeah, it was freaking me out a bit. But after a good night of sleep, I feel so much better.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Yeah the way they handled that would have scared me to. I have been through those scary ultrasounds where no one is really saying anything...I am glad everything looked good with the baby except for the amniotic fluid being low. Hopefully you will make it anohter month...will keep you in my prayers!!

Morgan said...

He really shouldn't have been "examining" something if nothing was wrong and making you worry that way...I would have been scared too!

BTW, how is the moving going?

~*JaYmE*~ said...

Wow I can't believe that its almost time! I hope everything keeps going well and little Ellie can stay nice and snuggled in for at least 4 more weeks!

Kimjj514 said...

oh Sherry, I pray that your LO can stay in there and continue baking until you're closer to your EDD. I know the thought of having her so early must be terrifying to you. I'm sure everything will be just fine. It's good that you're finding out about this low fluid now, rather than at the end when the baby could have potentially been in distress because of it. So while it's scary to have to go twice a week for these appts, it's great that they're monitoring you and the baby so closely. I'm praying for you and Ellie!

charm said...

That was just not right - keeping you waiting and stressing, wonder what the doctor would have done if you had hit him or something? lol imagine the look on his face - anyway when Ellie is ready is when Ellie will arrive....Next time ask and demand why certain things like the prolonged heart scanning is done.....get answers otherwise you go home and ponder - hence the stress. God Bless you and keep you all safe.....

Jen said...

I hope all goes well with you and your baby.

It is really hard to believe that we both got a positive pregnancy test on the same day. It is weird to think that we both would have only had 41 days left to go if I wouldn't have lost the baby.

I hope and pray that all goes well for you and your sweet little baby girl.